11/17/2020 - PUBLIC NOTICE ON ATHENS COMMON PLEAS LOCAL RULES OF COURT
As a result of input from the attorneys of the Athens County Bar Association and South Eastern Ohio Legal Services, there have been additions/changes to the proposed amendments to the local rules of court. Additions appear as underlined sections and strikeouts highlight deleted sections in the links below.
Additionally, the mandatory e-filing date for civil documents is now set for January 1, 2021. After this date documents filed with the Athens County Clerk of Courts will need to be done electronically except for pro-se parties who may continue to file paper documents at the clerk's window. Payment is due upon filing and documents whether electronically or by hand unless exempted by rule. Protection orders will continue to be processed by hand at the window.
Thank you to those taking the time to review the rules and for their input including the Athens County Bar Association, South Eastern Ohio Legal Services, Athens County Clerk of Court Candy Russell, Domestic Relations Magistrate Mendy Bradford and Juvenile Magistrate Jon Perrin and Assignment Commissioner Kathy Wickmann. Thanks to attorneys Sierra Meek and K. Robert Toy, Prosecutor Keller Blackburn and their offices for helping us test the e-filing system.
Thank you all for your patience as the implementation of the e-filing system as well as updating the local rules. This has been close to a three year process starting with obtaining the grants needed to complete the upgrade as well as building the system all while keeping operations going on a day to day basis.
These upgrades are already helping the clerks office and the court operate more efficiently than ever before. We should be experiencing such benefits for some time to come while also cutting down on the enormous amount of paper traditionally used and handled.
Below are final versions which will go into effect on January 1, 2021:
Athens Common Pleas Court Local Rules
Athens Common Pleas Court Civil/Criminal Administrative Order
Athens Common Pleas Court Domestic Relations Division Administrative Order
Athens Common Pleas Court Local Rules Appendix of Forms
Athens County Clerk of Courts Table of Costs
At the end I suggest the addition of Rule 33 which adopts the clerks table of fees for any costs not specifically set forth in the local rules. The clerk of courts has a list of costs on her website as well.
- Beginning 5/11/20, visitors will be allowed to conduct business in the Courthouse or the Annex building between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- The hours of 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. are reserved for seniors and individuals who are at high risk for the COVID-19 virus.
- People coming to the Athens County Annex building or the Courthouse will have to enter through the security entrance of the Courthouse. Visitors are required to wear a face covering while conducting business.
- Visitors will be asked some screening questions before being allowed access. Visitors are encouraged to call ahead when coming to do business while the Governor’s stay at home order, which includes social distancing, is still in place.
- A drop box is available in the lobby area on the first floor of the Annex Building for those who do not have a face covering or not wishing to wait to be screened.
- The County Sheriff’s office can be accessed by phone outside the office. Access is limited to one person at a time.
- For more information, please call the Commissioner’s office at 740-592-3219.
- 4/7/20 - Starting 4/8/20 and until further notice, any visitors to the Athens County Courthouse are required to wear a mask to comply with Governor DeWine's latest order. Thank you for your cooperation.
NOTICE - COURT CLOSED 5/25/2020 for Memorial Day
- Please note that the Athens County Courthouse, including the Athens Common Pleas Court, Domestic Relations Court and Athens Common Pleas Clerk's Office will be closed on May 25, 2020 for Memorial Day. Full list of holiday closures are here.
NOTICE - COURT REDUCED HOURS OF OPERATION EXTENDED TO 5/1/2020
- 3/31/20 - Please note that the Athens Common Pleas Court, Athens Common Pleas Clerk's Office, Domestic Relations Court and Juvenile Court have extended reduced hours of operation due to the COVID-19 virus quarantine until May 1, 2020. We will be open from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday through Friday until further notice. 3/31/20 PUBLIC NOTICE HERE
NOTICE RE: COURT ORDERED DOMESTIC RELATIONS COURT - CHILD VISITATION AND QUARANTINE
Here is a press release from the Southeastern Ohio Legal Services on the issue.
SEOLS Press Release Re: Child Visitation
Thank you for your cooperation.
Magistrate Melinda Bradford
NOTICE RE: COURT ACCESS AS OF MARCH 23, 2020
RE: OHIO SUPREME COURT CHIEF JUSTICE MAUREEN O'CONNOR RECOMMENDATIONS 3/19/20
COURT NOTICE REGARDING CORONAVIRUS VIRUS AND COURT OPERATIONS 3/12/20
1) The Athens County Grand Jury is suspended until further Order of the Court. Grand jurors are not to report for the previously scheduled session on March 23. Grand jurors will be contacted directly by the Court in the event that they need to appear at a later date.
2) No jurors will be summoned to Court, nor will any jury trials be held.
3) All scheduled in-person hearings in the General and Domestic Relations Divisions will be CONTINUED. Persons with court dates prior to April 1 should not report to Court. Hearings will be rescheduled. Some hearings may be held telephonically, to be arranged on a case-by-case basis. Those persons represented by counsel should call their attorneys.
4) Persons summoned to appear for Arraignments on Wednesday, March 25, should not report to Court. Instead, plan to appear on Wednesday, April 1, unless otherwise advised by the Court or counsel. In addition, any persons with business before the Court who are represented by counsel should contact their attorneys for further guidance regarding scheduling. Prior to April 1, 2020, the Court will issue further guidance regarding whether these Temporary Orders will be extended, modified or allowed to expire."